Ready for a real adventure?
This is the Fiordland tour to take you off the beaten track and further than any tour bus could ever go. In one day, you’ll visit a hidden lake accessible only by boat, trek through the bush, explore the oldest hut in the national park and soak up an incredible slice of wild Fiordland.
Te Anau to Lake Hankinson
- Meet your guide in Te Anau or Te Anau Downs and get to know each before embarking on an epic adventure.
- A 40-minute boat ride from Te Anau Downs across the South Island’s largest lake, Lake Te Anau. A good way to get a sense of how big Fiordland is.
- There’s no jetty here, but luckily, we know where to pull up.
- Step off the boat and follow your guide into the bush.
- We’re taking a short walk through the beech forest to find the hidden lake. Don’t expect a sealed path here; it’s a short, moderate trek through the Fiordland bush.
- Arrive at our hidden boat shed for your first glimpse of the glacial lake that time forgot, Lake Hankinson.
Lake Hankinson and Hankinson Hut
- Jump aboard a second boat and venture further into Fiordland with a boat ride across Lake Hankinson. There are no tracks, roads or clearings here. Our boat is the only way to get to the top of Lake Hankinson.
- As the bush clears, spot the oldest remaining hut in Fiordland National Park, Hankinson Hut. Built in 1928, the hut is rich with history and the stories of adventurers, deer cullers and those seeking escape.
- Stay awhile and soak it all in. The clear waters of the Wapiti River flowing past the hut may entice keen anglers or you may simply take a moment to appreciate the immense ecological system that is Fiordland National Park.
Return to Te Anau
- Return the way you came by boat across Lake Hankinson and a second boat across Lake Te Anau.
- Alternatively, you can step it up a notch and depart Hankinson by helicopter for a scenic flight back to Te Anau via the Murchison Mountains. Ask us about this upgrade option.
Our favourite place and a Fiordland few people get to see
Known to our family as the Sanctuary, Lake Hankinson is our favourite place to go and escape in Fiordland. But we also reckon it’s a place that’s too good not to share.
- Two return boat journeys
- Private nature guide
- Pick-up, drop-off from your Te Anau accommodation
- Small group tour, suitable for a maximum of 6 people
- Picnic lunch available as an add-on
- Private charter available
- Departs Te Anau 9am, Returns 4.30pm (approx.)
- Optional helicopter upgrade
A full-day adventure to a remote and rarely seen part of Fiordland.
- Discover a hidden lake deep within Fiordland, inaccessible by road or walking track. There is only one way to get here, and that’s with us.
- Experience two return boat rides and a bushwalk.
- Explore Fiordland National Park’s oldest hut.
- Very few people visit this remote location – enjoy incredible nature-spotting.
- An intrepid experience made easy with a local expert as your guide.
- Perfect for anyone looking for an authentic adventure, including families with children.