Journey to a special Fiordland people rarely get to see
- Full day adventuring into Fiordland by boat to access a remote and special place
- Feels like an intrepid experience yet accessible for most people
- Perfect for anyone including families and children
- Private or shared experience
Truly connect with nature
This place is one of our favourite places to go. This is true escapism. Feel as though you’re stepping back in time to an untouched wilderness, home to one of the oldest huts in Fiordland.
You’ll have the opportunity to hand-feed native eels, spot numerous mountain-bred rainbow and brown trout and spend time exploring and soaking up this special place.
About this journey
Start with a private boat charter on scenic Lake Te Anau, then come ashore for a short hike through lush beech forests to Lake Hankinson, a small glacial lake that ‘time forgot’.
Venture further into Fiordland on a second boat and enjoy the mesmerising views of the surrounding landscape (and catch some fish if you want to), before reaching Hankinson Hut, one of the oldest backcountry huts in Fiordland National Park.
Enjoy a gourmet platter lunch in the hut before the best way to end your day: a scenic helicopter flight. On the return helicopter trip, you’ll love flying over the Takahe Wilderness area, seeing unique rock formations and taking in an aerial view of the vastness of Fiordland.
Elevate your day
You’re in the heart of Fiordland so why not take the opportunity to explore north or south by helicopter on the way home.
Southern Fiordland – Venture to Dusky and Doubtful Sounds, well known for their wild and
remote landscapes. A maze of islands and fiords this is unrestrained, captivating nature at it’s most
Northern Fiordland – Journey north to take in an impressive list of famous landmarks including the
Milford Track, Lake Quill and Sutherland Falls, the sheer and dramatic scene of Milford Sound from
above, majestic Mt Tutoko and the Ngapunatoru Plateau for a glacial landing.
- Year round
- Up to 4 people
- Full Day 9am – 4:30pm, Flexible
- Includes private water taxi, helicopter flight, lunch and refreshments
- Optional helicopter upgrade Southern or Northern Fiordland
Why book The Sanctuary?
- A true backcountry adventure into a location very few will ever get to see
- Two return boat journeys, a short hike, and the option to add-on a helicopter flight
- Visit Fiordland’s oldest backcountry hut and the hidden lake deep within the national park
- An area that is only accessible by boat by Fiordland Outdoors Co. (or very intrepid explorers)