Skip to content
Fiordland Outdoors

George Sound Track - A Locals Experience

Day 1

We arrived at Te Anau Downs 7am. Boarding the Fiordland Water Taxi we organised through the Fiordland Outdoors Co. The best part about this was that it was honestly hassle free they took the six of us up to head of Middle Arm, Lake Te Anau then short walk to a smaller boat on the beautiful Lake Hankinson it took 2 trips arriving to Hankinson Hut before 9.30am also we saw plenty of trout around would be perfect for some fly fishing. Then around 2 hours for us to reach Thompson Hut where we had some lunch. We checked out the amazing chasm next to the hut then we were on our way up to Henry Saddle for the night. This section of the track was a bit boggy but we were lucky not to really experience much of the classic Fiordland weather (rain). Little bit of a climb up to the saddle but the views once reaching the tops were breath taking such a good spot to camp in good conditions.

Day 2

We were up early making Breakie and coffees to kick start the day then we packed up camp chucked on our wet socks and boots and started dropping down into the valley beneath us. Stopping at Lake Katherine for a bite to eat around midday. The section of track around Lake Katherine was a bit interesting but from Lake Katherine it was only an hour and a half to George Sound. Arriving at George Sound hut we were greeted by plenty of sandflies as expected. Some of us jumped into the fiord to cool down and celebrate our arrival. The hut was alright, nice and small we didn’t need to light the fire it was a warm few days that kept the hut nice and hot for us.

Day 3

Involved fishing for blue cod which we were successful, visits from dolphins about 3 times and plenty of swimming as it was such a beautiful day, blue sky and sun shine. We were very lucky.

Day 4

We were picked up in the morning by Te Anau Helicopters. It was pretty spectacular seeing George Sound from above and flying back over some of the route we walked to get to George Sound. We arrived back in town around 10.30am.

Overall, I would say that we were very lucky to have good conditions for the walk it might have been a little bit more of a mission I could imagine. The whole experience was amazing I enjoyed every minute of it.

Robbie Gray

Ready to go?