Plan and Prepare
Kepler Track Day Walks
Te Anau Lakefront
Brod Bay / Te Anau Lakefront
2.5hrs Return / Full Day Hike
1 Oct 2023 - 30 April 2024
Couples, Groups, Families
The easiest way to get to the Kepler Track for a day walk is on the Kepler Water Taxi. Meet the water taxi on the lakefront and head across to Brod Bay to explore Fiordland National Park at your own pace.
The great beauty of the Kepler Track is its proximity to the township of Te Anau. Just a short boat ride across the lake or a walk around the bay will have you stepping onto one of New Zealand’s Great Walks.
Regarded as one of the best things to do in Te Anau, the Kepler Track offers day walkers a taste of Fiordland’s famous scenery. There are plenty of ways to explore the Kepler Track making it an ideal hiking option for families. If you're looking for a challenge, set your sights on Mount Luxmore. The summit can be reached in a day with a water taxi transfer across the lake, and is well worth it for the astounding views over Lake Te Anau and Fiordland.
The Kepler Water Taxi runs between the Te Anau lakefront and Brod Bay daily during the Great Walks season.
What are the options for day hikes on the Kepler Track?
It’s easy to fit a day walk on the Kepler Track into your itinerary. Catch the Kepler Water Taxi from Te Anau and explore at your own pace.
Conquer Mount Luxmore
Full-day hike, moderate to strenuous
- One of Fiordland’s most rewarding day hikes from Te Anau
- Embrace the challenge of hiking up Mount Luxmore, from 200m to 1400m
- Choose to reach the bush line, Luxmore Hut or the summit itself
- Spectacular views of Fiordland and Lake Te Anau from the top
Round the Bay
Half-day hike – 2.5-hours
- Catch the Kepler Water Taxi from Te Anau to Brod Bay
- Walk from Brod Bay to back Te Anau via the cycle trail and Birdlife Park (2.5 hours, 10 kms easy/flat)
- A great option for families or trail runners
We recommend downloading this super handy app to have with you on your hike. It even shows your GPS location so you can see where on the trail you are located while you hike.
Take the water taxi to Te Anau’s best day walks and views
Access the world-famous Kepler Track, a NZ Great Walk
Challenge yourself to hike to Luxmore Hut, or even the Mt Luxmore summit (6 – 8 hours return)
An easier option is the water taxi to the Kepler Track, then a gentle 10-kilometre round the bay walk back to Te Anau
- Where does the Water Taxi depart from?
The Kepler Water Taxi departs from our Te Anau Lakefront jetty.
- What is a good day walk option for families?
Hiking the 2.5 hr from Brod Bay back to Te Anau is the perfect family activity. Stop at Dock Bay and enjoy picnic lunch on the sand and a swim to cool down.
- Is the Kepler Water Taxi available outside of the advertised hours?
On demand departures are available for groups over 4 people during the Great Walks season and 6 outside of the season. call us to organise.
- I want to wait for a clear weather day, do I have to prebook the Kepler Water Taxi or can I just turn up?
While we prefer pre-bookings as our Kepler Water Taxi you can just turn up. Booked customers are given priority but you can turn up at least 15 minutes prior to these departures and pay with either cash or card on the boat. If the boat is full and/or not on the lakefront, please wait at the jetty for the boat to return in approximately 15 minutes. The Kepler Water Taxi often does multiple departures for each timeslot.
- I want to reach Luxmore Summit, do you have a later water taxi departure from Brod Bay?
The 430pm departure from Brod Bay back to Te Anau Lakefront is our latest departure for the day. It is possible to reach Luxmore Summit by taking the 8.30am water taxi over and be back in time for the 430pm return if you are fit and able hikers.