Have a go at Fly Fishing
Ever wanted to try your hand at the art of fly fishing? This is the perfect river to give it a crack!
Fishing in New Zealand doesn’t get more spectacular than the Waiau. Teeming with Brown and Rainbow Trout, the Waiau flows through stunning natural landscapes of World Heritage status. The unique combination of a pristine backcountry environment, low fishing pressure and extraordinary mayfly hatches makes for a one-of-a-kind trout fishing experience.
Five reasons why now is the time to have a go at fly fishing:
- The Waiau is home to as many as 300-400 fish per km and, because of low fishing pressure, they’re anything but hook-shy. You have a great chance of landing your first trout on the fly!
- In our boat we will take you to the islands and beaches that others can’t get to. This gives you plenty of free space in which to learn, and take the pressure off.
- The beaches and islands are clear of trees and obstacles which beginners could often become hooked in, which makes learning just that bit easier.
- Our guides are super patient and genuinely enjoy getting people introduced to fishing, we thrive on this stuff. Part of what makes us unique are our people. We love getting you out there and having a go!
- You will be learning amongst a world class landscape – enough to make any friends and family envious!
Join us for a privately guided morning, afternoon or full day of fly fishing and basic tuition on the mighty Waiau River. A half day will give us time to run you through the basics, but a full day will increase your chances of catching significantly.
Why learn to fly fish with
- Patient guides happy to get you started with the basics
- Just 10 minutes from Te Anau, discover a dream fishing location perfect for anyone who has ever wanted to have a go at fly fishing
- The picturesque Waiau River is abundant with rainbow and brown trout; it’s never dull here
- The incredible manoeuvrability of the jet boat gets you to fishing spots inaccessible by foot at the same time as seeing the scenery of world-famous Fiordland National Park
- Flexible full or half-day options; family-friendly and a helpful guide who knows the river like the back of their hand