Kepler Track Day Walk – Transport Options
Te Anau Hikes
Spend a day on the stunning Kepler Track, one of the best day hikes from Te Anau. Get there by Kepler Water Taxi!
You can’t beat a walking track that’s been built with the purpose of showing off the very best features of Fiordland. A number of New Zealand’s hiking trails first came about out of pure necessity – they followed old Maori greenstone trails or pioneer routes. In stark contrast, the Kepler Track was custom-built for pure hiking pleasure. Its alpine vistas, rugged high country, deep gorges, and tall beech forests make the Kepler one of our favourite NZ Must-Dos.
Kepler Track highlights
Climb to the peak of Mount Luxmore, 1472m, for a birds-eye view of Lake Te Anau & the town. Explore the stunning stalactites and stalagmites of the Luxmore Caves and soak up the beauty of grand alpine views that stretch on for miles. Hike through golden tussock high country and tall Beech Forests. Kepler Track is one of the best day hikes from Te Anau and the quintessential Fiordland hiking experience!
Flexible Hiking options
Looking for a Te Anau hike? It’s easy to fit a day walk on the Kepler into your itinerary with ease
Conquer Mount Luxmore – Full day hike, moderate to strenuous
- One of Fiordland’s most rewarding day hikes from Te Anau
- Embrace the challenge of hiking up Mount Luxmore, from 200m to 1400m
- Choose to reach the bush line, Luxmore Hut or the summit itself
- Spectacular views of Fiordland and Lake Te Anau from the top
Brod Bay and Rainbow Reach options – Half-day hikes – 2.5-hour walk / 4-hour walk
- Be dropped at Brod Bay, on the shores of Lake Te Anau
- Walk Brod Bay to Te Anau via the Birdlife Park (2.5 hours, easy/flat)
- OR walk Brod Bay to Rainbow Reach, and catch the bus back to Te Anau (4 hours, easy/flat)
- Great options for families or trail runners
Don’t Miss the Boat! Kepler Water Taxi Great Walks Season departures
- Kepler Water Taxi Wharf, Te Anau Lakefront to Brod Bay
8.30am, 9.30am and 10.30am
- Brod Bay to Kepler Water Taxi Wharf, Te Anau Lakefront
8.45 am, 9.45 am, 10.45am and 4.30pm
- Available at other times on demand, minimum numbers apply, subject to availability
- October – April – departing every day, just turn up or pre-book online
- May – September – closed
Why book our Kepler Water Taxi service?
- Take the water taxi to Te Anau’s best day walk and views
- Access the world-famous Kepler Track, a NZ Great Walk
- Challenge yourself to hike to Luxmore Hut, or even the Mt Luxmore summit (6 – 8 hours return)
- An easier option is the water taxi to the Kepler Track, then a gentle 10-kilometre round the bay walk back to Te Anau