Milford Track Off Season
Wild, tempestuous, and ruggedly beautiful – all of these words describe the Milford Track between late April and October. During this time of year, the track’s famous waterfalls, forests and mountain views come alive in vivid blues, greens and snowy whites.
If you’re an experienced hiker looking to walk the Milford track during the off-season, then this transport package is an easy way to bring your adventure to life.
– Leave Te Anau at 8am and be transported by bus to Te Anau Downs.
– Travel via water taxi from Te Anau Downs to Glade Wharf, leaving at 8.30am and arriving at the start of the Milford Track (Glade Wharf) at 9.30.
– After completion of the track, pick up is from Sandﬂy Point (the end of the trail) at 2.30pm and travel to Milford Sound via water taxi.
– At 3pm, journey from Milford Sound back to Te Anau by bus, enjoying the commentary of an onboard nature guide.
Hikers need to be well prepared to walk the Milford Track in May and October. Winter walking conditions can include cold, windy and very wet weather, as well as a risk of flooding, snow, ice and avalanches. Alpine equipment and experience is essential. Because huts are not serviced during the off-season, hikers need to bring fuel for cooking and heating, as well as lighting and personal locator beacons.
During the winter season, bridges may be removed, so knowledge and experience of river crossings is essential. Heavy rainfall makes streams and rivers in Fiordland rise very quickly, and track ﬂooding is common. Be prepared to wait for water levels to decrease before attempting to cross any waterway – it’s a good idea to bring supplies for an extra few days in case you are delayed.
Always check the latest weather report before you depart, and don’t hesitate to change your plans if you aren’t comfortable. Our cancellation policy is a full refund if we can’t get you there but if you change your mind or plans, please let us know 24 hours prior to departure for a full refund. While the Milford Track is wild and beautiful during the off-season, you do need to be prepared for challenging weather conditions. We’ll be able to help with any offseason hiking queries you may have, but we strongly recommend you also read through the Department of Conservation’s Tramping the Great Walks in winter’ webpage.
Note – We need a minimum of 4 paying passengers to depart and trips may be cancelled at any time due to avalanche or track conditions in which case full refunds will be issued.
Why book with us?
- An easy track transport option to get to the Milford Track out of season
- Travel with a local, family-run team who have experience in off-season hiking
- Fast, purpose-built water taxi to transfer you to Glade Wharf and back again