Milford Track – Day Walking Transport
Day walking on the Milford Track, Milford Sound
Take the water taxi from Milford Sound to Sandfly Point for a day hike on the Milford Track
Yes! You can do an independent one-day walk on the Milford Track. Here’s how.
Catch our Milford Track Water Taxi from Deepwater Basin in Milford Sound to Sandfly Point for access to the Milford Track. From here, walk this stunning section of the Milford Track and return to Milford Sound with the water taxi 3-4 hours later. See the famous sights of Fiordland and explore at your own pace.
The Milford Track Water Taxi is the only way for independent walkers to access the Milford Track (at the Milford Sound end) for a day walk and the perfect way to see more of Milford Sound.
The Milford Track Water Taxi
A stunning 10-minute boat journey across Deepwater Basin transfers you to Sandfly Point, where you can explore what is the final section (Day 4) of the full Milford Track walk. This section of the track offers a taste of one of the world’s most famous walks and is suitable for families, those who don’t have time to do a 4-day hike, or anyone staying in Milford Sound and looking to explore further. This section of the track is flat and easy-going, and in under two hours, you can reach Giant Gates Falls, one of the highlights of the Milford Track. Allow 3-4 hours for the return hike.
See Milford Track Water Taxi departure times below:
- Deepwater Basin boat ramp to Sandfly Point
8.30am, 9am, 9.30am, 10am and 10.30am
- Return Sandfly Point to Deepwater Basin
11.30am, 12pm, 12.30pm and 1pm
- Available at other times on demand, minimum numbers apply
- Available October – April – pre-bookings required, book online here or phone
- May – September – unavailable for less than 10 people, please enquire
More than a day hike, this is a day hike on the world-famous Milford Track
As you walk, enjoy birdsong from resident grey warblers, bellbirds, even tui, and perhaps enjoy a visit from friendly fantails and curious robins. And of course, the most anticipated sight in Fiordland is its waterfalls. And on this day walk, you will see many, including Giant Gates Falls which is the perfect place for a rest stop before retracing your steps. All this is accessible in under three to four hours return.
Looking for transport for the 4-day Milford Track hike? The Milford Track Water Taxi also transfers walkers who have completed the full Milford Track hike. More information about complete Milford Track Transport packages here.
Can I do a walk and a boat cruise in Milford Sound in one day? You can, but our advice is don’t rush things. Accommodation is available at Milford Sound Lodge where you will also find a restaurant, terrific coffee, luxury chalets and a stunning campervan park. Take your time and enjoy your hike, cruise, kayak, or dive in Milford Sound.
How do I find the water taxi departure point in Milford Sound? Directions to Deepwater Basin boat ramp. Turn left onto Deepwater Basin Road, 600 meters on your left after you pass the turnoff to Milford Sound Lodge (if you arrive in the Milford Sound township you have gone too far, turn around safely in the car parking area and return to Deepwater Basin Road). There is free parking available just down Deepwater Basin Road on your left. Please park your vehicle there and walk the remaining 500 meters down the road to the boat ramp. This is close by the kayaking operators, keep walking down the road towards the water until you arrive at the boat ramp. Our red boat will be parked there or wait a few minutes for it to return as it may be on a trip.
Why book a day walk on the Milford Sound?
- Experience the Milford Track – one of NZ’s most famous hiking tracks – independently and at your own pace
- Includes a return boat transfer from Milford Sound to Sandfly Point (Milford Track). Catch a morning boat over, walk for a few hours, and catch an afternoon trip back
- Hike to Giant Gates Falls, a highlight of the Milford Track, and a perfect place for a picnic lunch or perhaps an icy dip in the pools below the falls
- An incredible activity to do while you’re in Milford Sound, perfect for anyone who wants to see more of Milford Sound & Fiordland
- A flat, easy-going, 3-4 hour half-day walk, with no more than 50 metres of elevation making it suitable for just about everyone, including the kids.